Room 1626, Vistana Hotel
I tried to stay awake but failed. When I woke up at 6 a.m., I was still wearing my glasses. My notebook lay open in front of my face, the last line I had written mocking me.
I spent the next hour trying to write as much as possible, but as usual the article looked like it was going nowhere.
So I regretfully had a quick breakfast, then sped to the hall to type my first draft (and hopefully get more inspiration).
I had nearly one full page by the time our first talk started.
The talk was on leadership, and when the microphone was passed around, I said I wanted to learn to be a more effective leader because I felt I was too autocratic.
We played a team game where everyone had to get across a paper grid with only the leader's whistle to alert us if we were going to wrong way. My team tried all ways and means to cheat...but we still lost. :P
Then we had an early break and I got more time to type.
When the talk continued, we all took the Myers-Briggs test. My result (INTJ) proved I am an autocratic leader. :P
Lunch was yet another quick affair, after which I was left with more than an hour to finish my article. Since I only had two or three paragraphs left, I was done quite soon and even managed to blog.
Then it was time for the next talk, which was so boring that I can't recall what it was about.
We had to get into groups later and talk about life in the 70s. Like how are we supposed to know what life was like before we were born. :P
Anyway, my group chose to talk about Singapore in the 70s, so I had to come up with all the answers - despite not knowing any!
Then we had to present about Singapore in the 70s, as well as Singapore's probable future.

Finally the talk ended and we had over two hours till we had to turn in our assignments.
Those of us who had finished our articles took the chance to hop on the train to The Mall nearby, where we spent an hour shopping!

After we got back, I managed to have some dinner before the next talk, which was a continuation of our previous journalism talks.
It was like an English lesson actually. One of the first things we did was to learn about editing symbols. For the first time, I actually found that chapter in our News Writing module useful!
In fact I couldn't shut up the whole lesson. I just had to give the answers, especially pertaining to grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors in a mock letter. I mean, Singapore is the only ASEAN country where English is the first language, so I have no excuse not to know.
We were all let off at 11 p.m. - but not before being given the tentative programme for Singapore. I got very excited about it and couldn't stop reading it throughout my supper.
Well I wasn't the only one who got excited. Here's what one of the Indonesian delegates and I decided after receiving the programme:


<< Home